Wanting to grow spiritually during Great Lent? Here’s a great resource, prepared by Steve Puluka, based upon the book by Father Alexander Schmemann, Great Lent: Journey to Pascha. They’re designed to be used in church bulletins, but they can also serve as good personal mini-reflections on the significance of the events we commemorate during Great Lent. A suggestion: print them out and reflect on the various points as Great Lent moves us towards Pascha.
Steve explains the notes:
Below are a set of PDF files for use as a bulletin insert. They are setup on a single 8.5 x 14 page in a booklet fold, two-sided format. You may reproduce as many as you like, as long as no fee is charged for the material. These are for non-profit use only.
Great Lent: Journey to Pascha Series
- Preparation-Chapter One
- Descriptions of the preparation Sunday themes.
- Worship-Chapter Two
- The theme of Bright Sadness, the prayer of St. Ephrem, scripture readings during the fast and the Triodion.
- Presanctified Liturgy-Chapter Three
- The Presantified Liturgy and a discussion of communion and fasting.
- Lenten Journey-Chapter Four
- The canon of St. Andrew of Crete, Saturday and Sunday liturgical themes, the Holy Cross and Bethany
- & Jerusalem.
- Lent in our Life-Chapter Five
- Taking the fast seriously.
- Thoughts for our Time-Appendix
- Rediscovery of religion, communion and the Mysteries.